Municipal Court FAQs

Are Interpreters Available?

Upon request, interpreter services will be provided for other languages as well. If you need interpreter services, you must contact and inform the court as soon as possible. It is your responsibility to inform the Court prior to your scheduled court date and time by contacting the Clerk's office at 770-478-7407.

I was issued a ticket from a Jonesboro police officer. What should I do?

There is a scheduled court date and time indicated on the citation. This is your arraignment date. You will be asked to enter a plea at that time. Please be on time for your appointed court date as the Judge will give you an abundance of valuable information at the opening of the court session.

Can I pay my ticket before the court date and time to avoid a court appearance?

If the violation is not a mandatory appearance violation, you may pay the fine prior to the court date and time to avoid an appearance in court. If your fine is not paid by the end of your scheduled court session, you will be penalized for failing to appear in court on your scheduled court date and time.

What is a "must appear" or "mandatory" offense?

"Must appear offenses" are those for which a defendant is required to appear before the Judge in court. Examples include but are not limited to DUI, Possession of Marijuana, Shoplifting, Disorderly Conduct, No License, Suspended License, Suspended Registration, Aggressive Driving, No Insurance and City Ordinances.

What if I want to plead not guilty and have a trial?

If you plead not guilty, you will be given the option of having a non-jury trial by our Judge here in Jonesboro Municipal Court or a jury trial in Clayton County State Court before a jury of your peers. Trials are not heard on your arraignment date. Officers are not present at your arraignment. Non-jury trial requests are reset to a trial calendar to allow time to subpoena all witnesses, including the officer, who may be called upon to testify at trial. Jury trial requests will be transferred to Clayton County. Only state misdemeanor charges can be transferred for jury trials. City ordinance violations may not be transferred - they must first be tried in Municipal Court by operation of law.

How do I appeal the Judge's decision?

If you do not agree with the Judge's decision of your case you may appeal it through the Superior Court of Clayton County. Please contact the Clerk's office in Clayton County Superior Court for further information.

How do know if my license are suspended or how many points I will recieve?

If you have been issued a citation and have questions concerning point violations and/or license suspensions, please visit the Department of Driver Services or contact their offices at 678-413-8400.