Login
Friday, April 25, 2014
Online Historical Tour


1867 Train Depot - (104 N.Main Street) This Georgia granite building replaced the original wooden depot which stood near the Confederate Cemetery and was burned in 1864. At the peak of railroad travel, passenger and freight trains passed through day and night, and the Jonesboro-to-Atlanta commuter train, the Dummy, made five round trips a day. Today it serves as the Jonesboro Welcome Center. The Phone Number is 770-478-4800.


Old Downtown Jonesboro (from Mill Street to Church Street). Many of these old buildings appear as they did before the Civil War, as the brick exteriors withstood fire while the interiors burned. In the late 1800's this rowdy downtown street housed 13 different saloons! A prominent citizen of the time complained that he had to move out of town to keep his adolescent sons out of the bad environment on Main Street. Now business and government offices alternate with several antique and gift shops along North and South Main Street.

Clayton News Daily (138 Church Street) Once a cotton bagging house, part of Claud Hutchenson's bagging and tie business established here in 1901, which produced the burlap and metal packaging used to get cotton to the market. Private.

Gayden-Sims-Webb House (158 Church Street) Built by Francis T.Gayden in the 1850's, it was the only brick house in Jonesboro before the civil war. Dr.Gayden was also a trustee at the First Baptist Church  and a captain in General Joseph Wheeler's Confederate Calvary.

Methodist Superannuate Home (176 Church Street) Built in the early 1800's as a home for retired Methodist ministers, it appears almost exactly as it did originally. Private.

Mundy-Crowell-Burrell House (172 Church Street) Dating from the early 1900's, this house was built in a very popular style (there are at least three similar houses on McDonough Street). A central hall joins three rooms on the left and two on the right, and dormer windows indicate small rooms on the second story. Private.

Ashely Oaks Mansion (144 College Street) This most elegant home in Jonesboro was built in 1879 by Leander Hutchenson, Sheriff of Clayton County, of over 1 million hand made bricks. Each exterior home wall is 12 inches thick. Each of the four large rooms downstairs stands on its own independent foundation. Fully restored and open for tours with lunch included Tues-Fri at 11,12, and 1. Admission charged. Group tours and other functions by appointment.

Looney-Hanes-Smith House G.C.Looney was president of the middle Georgia College, which was built in 1880 across the street on the site of the 1960's First Baptist Church. This 10-room house was built to house his family and border students. The Middle Georgia College later became the Jonesboro Public School.  The home is now known as The Jonesboro Greenhouse.

Arnold-Lyle-Oakes House (192 Cloud Street) Probably the least changed of all historic houses in Jonesboro. Unlike most 19th century houses, the stairs rise from the back hall. Private.

Key-Carnes-Brown House (201 S.Main Street) The house was built in the early 1850's or 1860's, and underwent extensive renovation in 1990 to replace the first and second story porches which were removed in the 1920's. Private.

Burnside-Lyle House (166 S.Main Street) Erected in 1870, this is the third home built at this location by the Burnside family. The previous two were destroyed by fire. Five Burnsides are buried in the family plot behind the house. On Kilpatrick's raid in 1864 a citizen was killed here by a cannon ball fired from the north end of Main Street near the Warren House. Private.

Hynds-Blalock-Henry House (162 S.Main Street) The main structure of this house appears as it did in 1880, although the second story, sun rooms, and porches are additions. Private.

Waldrop-Brown-Edwards House (158 S.Main Street) Narrow boards indicate the newer half of this house, rebuilt after the Battle of Jonesboro. The older portion was built prior to 1864. Private.

Crockett-Blalock House (Wells Fargo Bank 154 S.Main Street) This restored house has a new life in the community. The original portion, built before 1879, is the two ring wing to the left of the rear entrance. The larger front porch of the house was added in 1879 by Mr.John Crockett. Mr.George Blalock added the screen porch on the north side and the sun porch on the south (now the drive-through bank)


Stately Oaks (100 Carriage Lane at Jodeco Road) Built in 1839 by Whitmell Allen, the house originally stood four miles north of Jonesboro on 404 acres. During the civil  war it was a landmark for both Northern and Southern troops, and Yankee soldiers camped in the fields around the house during the Battle of Jonesboro. The Greek Revival style house is surrounded by outbuildings, including its original log kitchen, Juddy's Country Store and the Bethel School House. Open daily for tours and special events. Call for information and brochures. (770)-473-0197.

1898 Courthouse (121 S.McDonough Street) This building, barely visible above the 1962 additions, houses the old town clock. Margaret Mitchell visited this courthouse to research local records during the writing of Gone With the Wind. The monuments at the front door of the 1962 addition commemorate Military Chaplains and specifically Father Emiel Bliemel of the Confederate Army, who was killed during the Battle of Jonesboro while giving last rites to Col.Grace of Alabama.


1869 Courthouse/Masonic Lodge From 1858 until the first County Courthouse was completed on this site in 1861, Clayton County Court met in the Masonic Hall, which stood near #1 at Main and Mill Streets. The Masons sold half this lot to the county for the 1861 Courthouse, and after it was burned by Kilpatrick's Raid in 1864, County Court again met in the Masonic Hall until the "new" courthouse was built on the old stone foundations. In use until 1898, when #31 was built, this structure serves today as the hall of the Jonesboro Lodge No.87, Free and Accepted Masons.

1869 Jail (125 King Street) Constructed of locally-kilned bricks by Mansfield & Chapman, masterbuilders. Living quarters for the jailer were on the lower floor and cells were on the upper. In 1898, when the county functions were moved, this building was sold as a residence. Now owned by Historical Jonesboro, Inc., it is open for tours as the Clayton County Historical Museum. For information call (770) 473-0197.

Stephen Carnes House (154 N.McDonough Street) Built in the 1850's by Stephen Carnes who operated a wagon and carriage shop behind the house. The beautiful gingerbread trim was made in Mr.Carnes' wood shop. Mr.Carnes made caskets for the Confederate Army, and after the war he was hired by the state of Georgia to re-interned the Confederate soldiers that were buried around the city of Jonesboro after the battle. He re-interned these soldiers in the Confederate Cemetery on the north end of town. Private

Pope Dickson & Son Funeral Home (168 N.McDonough Street) The core of this house dates from the mid-19th century, and survived the Battle of Jonesboro. At the rear end of the building is the hearse, which carried Alexander H.Stephens, Vice President of the Confederacy and later Governor of Georgia, from the Governor's Mansion to his final resting place at his Crawfordsville home

Manson-Purdy-Segner House (180 N.McDonough Street) Built in 1890 by Zachary Manson, who moved here from three miles north of the Atlanta Road (Tara Blvd.) when he was elected Ordinary (now probate judge). The architecture of the house is identical to that of the Mundy-Crowell-Burrel House. It now house Past Tense Antiques. They can be reached at (770)-210-0606.

Hightower-Swint House (186 N.McDonough Street) Owned by the Swint family, owners of one of the oldest continually operating businesses in Clayton County, Swint's Feed & Garden Supply. This house is believed to be from the antebellum period, and most of the millwork is original. Private.

Confederate Cemetery (Johnson & McDonough Streets) This cemetery holds the remains of 600 to 1000 unidentified Confederate soldiers who died during the Battle of Jonesboro. Originally buried where they fell, the remains were moved in 1872 after this memorial was formed by a grant by the State Legislature. Named for Confederate General Patrick R.Cleburne, the cemetery is maintained by the United Daughter's of the Confederacy. The unmarked headstones are laid out in the shape of the Confederate Battle Flag.

Warren House (102 West Mimosa Drive) Built in 1860 by Guy L.Warren, an agent of the Macon & Western Railroad, and one of Jonesboro's first town commissioners. Used as a field hospital and headquarters by the Confederate troops until the 52nd Illinois Infantry took possession of the house on September 2nd, 1864 for the same uses. Signatures of convalescing Union soldiers still appear on the walls of the downstairs parlor. Available for tours and special events by appointments.

Johnson-Blalock House (155 N.Main Street) Built in 1859 by J.F.Johnson, a member of the Georgia Legislature and a signer of the Georgia Secession Ordinance. It has been owned by the Blalock family for five generations. This home was used during the civil war as a Confederate field hospital. In the 1890's an itinerant artist painted a beautiful mural on the parlor ceiling in exchange for room and board. Private.

Hutcheson-T.L.Burnham-Roberts House. (180 Church St) This home was purchased in 1937 by Mr. & Mrs. J.C. Burnham, who were the owners of the Tara Theatre on Main Street in Jonesboro. The home was moved on logs from the top of the hill on Church St. next to the Webb home to its present location at the turn of the century.

Carmack-Mathews-Wise House. (208 Lee Street) In 1907, Ira McDavid started construction on this house, but left the county before it's completion. Then Clayton County Sheriff Lamar Anderson bought the home and finished the construction. In 1937 the Carmack family bought the home and in 1943 sold it to the Mathews family who lived in the home until 1997 when the Wise family purchased the home and are the current residents.

Historical Jonesboro

The Historical Jonesboro publication is available at bookstores, Stately Oaks Plantation, Clayton County Visitors Bureau and other locations in Clayton County.

www.historicaljonesboro.org